What is COVID-19 or Coronavirus?
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a newly discovered coronavirus.
- Most people infected with the COVID-19 virus will experience mild to moderate respiratory illness and recover without requiring special treatment. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, and cancer are more likely to develop serious illness.
- The best way to prevent and slow down transmission is be well informed about the COVID-19 virus, the disease it causes and how it spreads. Protect yourself and others from infection by washing your hands or using an alcohol-based rub frequently and not touching your face.
- The COVID-19 virus spreads primarily through droplets of saliva or discharge from the nose when an infected person coughs or sneezes, so it’s important that you also practice respiratory etiquette (for example, by coughing into a flexed elbow).
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory infection caused by SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 virus).
To prevent infection and to slow transmission of COVID-19, do the following:
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water, or clean them with alcohol-based hand rub.
- Maintain at least 1 metre distance between you and people coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.
- Stay home if you feel unwell.
- Refrain from smoking and other activities that weaken the lungs.
- Practice physical distancing by avoiding unnecessary travel and staying away from large groups of people.
What measures can I take to prevent the infection?
To prevent infecting yourself and your family it is important to follow, together with the recommendations mentioned above by WHO, the following disinfection measures:
- Disinfect your home: ensure you are disinfecting properly every area of your home to prevent spreading the virus to other family members. This should be a must especially if you have babies, pregnant women, ill people or elders at home. In our Disinfection Guide you will find how to disinfect correctly your bathroom, kitchen, laundry & fabric furniture, baby rooms and other areas around the home.
- Disinfect spaces and objects outside your home: you should also consider that the virus can be present in shared spaces such as your office, the gym, the supermarket, public transport, etc. Remember to also disinfect your groceries as soon as you get home, before storing them. When possible, disinfect those areas you feel may have hidden viruses.
- Disinfect your personal objects: It has been proved that the virus can easily get on our personal items and stay there for hours and even days, so it is important we consider all items that need to be disinfected immediately once we get back home. Check our latest post to learn more.
- Disinfect correctly your hands: As recommended by WHO, we should wash our hands regularly with soap or use alcohol-based hand rub to kill Coronavirus. Repeat this process every time you are out of home, at the office, at a restaurant, etc. and feel you need to disinfect your hands because you have touched shared objects or surfaces. Check our latest post to learn more.
Are Wyx XtraHygiene products effective against COVID-19? ¿Do they kill COVID-19 on surfaces, objects and hands?
Wyx XtraHygiene products have been tested against and proven to pass the Human Coronavirus 229E according to EN 14476 norm.
SARS-CoV-2 virus (the cause of the recent health alert) is not available to conduct virucide tests because of the connotations that the virus causes human infections. SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19), Human Coronavirus 229E, Beta Coronavirus (Bovine Coronavirus) are all Coronaviruses, enveloped viruses, that have the same viral structure and therefore have the same sensitivity to disinfectants. When you dissolve the envelopment of this kind of viruses, the viruses die.
Therefore, this strain of the same family is the only way the scientific community can compare the efficacy of disinfectant cleaners and hand gels against COVID-19/ SARS-CoV-2. Considering this statement, Wyx XtraHygiene products are effective to kill Coronavirus and, by scientific assumption, COVID-19/ SARS-CoV-2. Just look for the Coronavirus shield or claim on your products for confirmation.
Check our range of Wyx XtraHygiene disinfectants to learn more information on each one of them.
Use biocides safely. Always read the label and product information before use and follow the directions for use correctly to effectively kill Coronavirus.