Germs are the main cause of infection. They live both inside and outside our body and can be easily transferred to surfaces and other humans. Good germs can keep our body in balance and build our immune systems, but bad germs can cause illness and infections. These are some of the most common germs we can find in homes and preventive measures we must take in order to avoid getting infected.
Cold & flu viruses
Cold & Flu have very similar symptoms and are the most common infections during the flu season (mainly during cold temperatures). The flu has usually more severe symptoms, such as high fever, chills or sweats, sore or aching muscles, headaches, weakness, sore throat and sometimes even loss of appetite. When you have a cold, you may experience many of these symptoms, but it rarely causes a high fever.
To prevent catching a cold or the flu during flu season, ensure you wash your hands properly and quite frequently and avoid sick people. Don’t touch your mouth, nose or eyes to avoid getting the virus into your body. Be sure to disinfect surfaces in your home and at work to kill cold and flu traces. Cold and flu germs can live on surfaces for up to two days, so ensure you are disinfecting your home daily to prevent spread the virus.
If you or any member of your family is experiencing either of these symptoms you should stay home to prevent spreading the virus. We might even want to avoid any hugs and handshakes, even sharing objects or food, just as a preventive measure.
SARS-COV-2 or COVID-19 is a new strain of coronavirus that was identified during an outbreak in Wuhan, China, and later spread through different countries around the globe. This new form of virus has provoked a sanitary crisis, with a high quantity of infections and deaths, that has provoked a high impact on society and an increase in the need of disinfecting all surfaces in order to avoid the spread of this virus. The most common symptoms for Coronavirus are high fever, dry cough and shortness of breath. If you experience these symptoms call your sanitary center and ensure you get checked out.
Sanitary authorities have recommended to wash more frequently our hands. Even if we ensure we are getting our hands washed as much as possible, truth is we sometimes need an on the go solution for when we are out of home or out of the office and can’t wash our hands, for example, while doing the groceries or commuting. Ensure you always use hand sanitizers that have the correct amount of alcohol to kill Coronavirus recommended by the World Health Organization (above 60% of alcohol content). Check the range of Wyx hand disinfectant gels and sanitizers that have been developed to kill Coronavirus and stop spreading the virus.
Learn how to disinfect correctly the different surfaces and areas of your home in order to kill Coronavirus, bacteria and other germs.
Some bacteria can be good for our body, as they help the digestive system and prevent bad bacteria from moving in. Other bacteria, the commonly known as ‘bad bacteria’, can cause sore throats, ear infections and cavities.
Despite many fungi are not harmful to healthy people, people with weak immune systems (such as patients with cancer) may have more risk of getting fungi infections like athlete’s foot and yeast infections.
What is COVID-19 or Coronavirus?
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a newly discovered coronavirus.
- Most people infected with the COVID-19 virus will experience mild to moderate respiratory illness and recover without requiring special treatment. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, and cancer are more likely to develop serious illness.
- The best way to prevent and slow down transmission is be well informed about the COVID-19 virus, the disease it causes and how it spreads. Protect yourself and others from infection by washing your hands or using an alcohol-based rub frequently and not touching your face.
- The COVID-19 virus spreads primarily through droplets of saliva or discharge from the nose when an infected person coughs or sneezes, so it’s important that you also practice respiratory etiquette (for example, by coughing into a flexed elbow).
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory infection caused by SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 virus).
To prevent infection and to slow transmission of COVID-19, do the following:
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water, or clean them with alcohol-based hand rub.
- Maintain at least 1 metre distance between you and people coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.
- Stay home if you feel unwell.
- Refrain from smoking and other activities that weaken the lungs.
- Practice physical distancing by avoiding unnecessary travel and staying away from large groups of people.
What measures can I take to prevent the infection?
To prevent infecting yourself and your family it is important to follow, together with the recommendations mentioned above by WHO, the following disinfection measures:
- Disinfect your home: ensure you are disinfecting properly every area of your home to prevent spreading the virus to other family members. This should be a must especially if you have babies, pregnant women, ill people or elders at home. In our Disinfection Guide you will find how to disinfect correctly your bathroom, kitchen, laundry & fabric furniture, baby rooms and other areas around the home.
- Disinfect spaces and objects outside your home: you should also consider that the virus can be present in shared spaces such as your office, the gym, the supermarket, public transport, etc. Remember to also disinfect your groceries as soon as you get home, before storing them. When possible, disinfect those areas you feel may have hidden viruses.
- Disinfect your personal objects: It has been proved that the virus can easily get on our personal items and stay there for hours and even days, so it is important we consider all items that need to be disinfected immediately once we get back home. Check our latest post to learn more.
- Disinfect correctly your hands: As recommended by WHO, we should wash our hands regularly with soap or use alcohol-based hand rub to kill Coronavirus. Repeat this process every time you are out of home, at the office, at a restaurant, etc. and feel you need to disinfect your hands because you have touched shared objects or surfaces. Check our latest post to learn more.
Are Wyx XtraHygiene products effective against COVID-19? ¿Do they kill COVID-19 on surfaces, objects and hands?
Wyx XtraHygiene products have been tested against and proven to pass the Human Coronavirus 229E according to EN 14476 norm.
SARS-CoV-2 virus (the cause of the recent health alert) is not available to conduct virucide tests because of the connotations that the virus causes human infections. SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19), Human Coronavirus 229E, Beta Coronavirus (Bovine Coronavirus) are all Coronaviruses, enveloped viruses, that have the same viral structure and therefore have the same sensitivity to disinfectants. When you dissolve the envelopment of this kind of viruses, the viruses die.
Therefore, this strain of the same family is the only way the scientific community can compare the efficacy of disinfectant cleaners and hand gels against COVID-19/ SARS-CoV-2. Considering this statement, Wyx XtraHygiene products are effective to kill Coronavirus and, by scientific assumption, COVID-19/ SARS-CoV-2. Just look for the Coronavirus shield or claim on your products for confirmation.
Check our range of Wyx XtraHygiene disinfectants to learn more information on each one of them.
Use biocides safely. Always read the label and product information before use and follow the directions for use correctly to effectively kill Coronavirus.
Despite our best efforts while cleaning our home, it is important to consider that when we clean we are only removing dirt, grease and grime from surfaces, but we are not disinfecting them and therefore we are not removing bacteria, germs and viruses from our home.
This is the reason why cleaning is not the same as disinfecting. Using general household cleaners around the home is not enough to keep yourself and your family protected from common infections and viruses that may appear in your home. Instead, try using household disinfectant cleaners as your usual cleaners to ensure you always keep your home not only clean but also germ and virus free. Check all the information regarding the range of Wyx XtraHygiene disinfectant products.
Bear in mind that there are certain areas around our home that we must disinfect, such as bathrooms, door knobs and handles, cooking areas, baby and kids’ rooms and pet areas. Though you cannot see the virus and germs around home surfaces, it can stay there for days. If we don’t disinfect them properly, we might touch infected surfaces with our hands and get them into our body (via our mouth, nose and eyes) or onto other surfaces and infect other members of our home, that might have a higher risk, such as pregnant women, babies or elders.
Consider the following hygiene guidelines when disinfecting your home to ensure you are doing the job correctly.
As we have mentioned, bacteria and viruses are invisible to human eyes and can be hidden in different surfaces around home, public places and personal items. Ensure you disinfect correctly all areas mentioned bellow with Wyx XtraHygiene disinfectant products.
- Public transport: tube, buses, taxis, etc.
- Airplanes and airports.
- Restaurants and pubs.
- Doctor’s office, dentist, etc.
- Shops and supermarkets.
- Elevators & escalator handrails
- Public restrooms/ bathrooms.
- Gyms: changing rooms, machines, water dispensers, vending machines, etc.
- Schools & universities: school bus, playground, stationary, toilets, etc.
Ensure you always carry Wyx Disinfectant hand gel while being out of home. You will be able to apply some disinfectant on your hands to kill any virus or bacteria that might have gotten onto your hands while being on public places.
- Door handles & knobs
- Light switches
- Kitchen surfaces and items.
- Bathroom surfaces and items.
- Remote controls
- Workspace: Computer, keyboard and computer mouse.
- Other devices, such as tablets, laptops and earphones.
- Pet toys
- House & Car Keys
- Handbags, wallets and backpacks.
- Credit cards, IDs and driver’s license: only necessary if you have used them.
- Mobile Phones and cases.
- Other devices, such as tablets, laptops and earphones.
- Watches and jewelry.
- Pet accessories: dog leash, bag dispenser, clothes…
Use WYX Disinfectant All Purpose Cleaner, WYX Disinfectant Multipurpose Cleaner or WYX Disinfectant Spray to disinfect your home and personal items. It is highly important to follow the directions for use in order to ensure a correct disinfection of the items. When using WYX Disinfectant Multipurpose Cleaner spray on a damp clean cloth and then rub the item. Leave to act for 5 minutes to kill Coronavirus and rinse with a damp clean cloth. Ensure to dry technological devices with a dry cloth. Always test on a hidden area before using the product.
Keeping your bathroom hygienically clean and shiny for you and your family is one of the most important things to do while disinfecting your home. It is very likely you may get infected through your bathroom and pass it to other family members if there are any type of germs left behind. The damp and humid conditions of a bathroom can cause the appearance of germs, such as bacteria and fungi.
As we have mentioned in various occasions, it’s not only about cleaning the general surfaces, but also making sure you cover those areas where germs are hidden. Follow this check list while cleaning your bathroom to make sure you are disinfecting every surface and object in this room.
Floor & Wall Tiles
Clean and disinfect bathroom walls and floors to prevent the appearance of bacteria and fungi due to excess of humidity. Floors and walls often accumulate more bacteria than other areas of the bathroom as we bring in dirt from inside and outside the home, hair is accumulated on the floors, water is spilled from the sink or the shower and even germs are spilled from the toilet. Don’t forget to cover all corners and hidden areas, such as under the toilet and sinks.
A good disinfection of your toilet is highly important to keep your bathroom clean and disinfected. You will need to cover the inside of the bowl, the toilet seat, the lid and very importantly the toilet flush button or handle. Remember to always close the lid before flushing the toilet to prevent germs going from your toilet to other bathroom surfaces.
Shower and bath tub
Scrub correctly to disinfect tiles, tub, shower doors and shower heads to ensure we remove germs. Disinfect your towels, bath mat and shower curtain with your washing machine and Wyx Disinfectant Laundry Cleanser. If you have a plastic bath mat ensure you also disinfect it using Wyx Disinfectant Bathroom Cleaner, as excess of humidity can cause the appearance of fungi.
Bathroom taps and sinks
To prevent infections between family members, it is important you disinfect daily or weekly the taps. It is one of the surfaces that we tend to touch the most while being in the bathroom. Sinks are also very important as we brush our teeth and wash our face and hands there, and the dirt may remain on the sink if we do not clear it well with water and disinfect it correctly.
Toothbrush holders often get filled with germs and humidity if they are placed near the sink. This is one of the most popular hot spots people tend to forget when cleaning the bathroom, and it should be one of the most important. If our toothbrush holder is not being correctly disinfected, we might get infected through our mouth and hands when using our toothbrush.
Besides from cleaning and disinfecting our holder, we must rinse the toothbrush thoroughly after every use and replace it regularly, especially if we’ve been sick.
Always hang to dry correctly your towels and bath mat after using them to avoid bacteria and fungus. To prevent mal odours and humidity, ensure you wash and disinfect them once or twice every week. Add Wyx Disinfectant Laundry Cleanser to your laundry to kill 99,9% of bacteria, fungi and Coronavirus.
Other objects around the bathroom
Don’t forget to clean and disinfect light switches, soap dispensers, bins and any other objects you have around your bathroom, such as cotton dispensers and make up bags.
Use WYX Disinfectant Bathroom Cleaner to remove soap scum, limescale, watermarks and dirt while killing 99,9% of bacteria and killing Coronavirus from your kitchen surfaces.
The Kitchen is a place of high traffic for many homes. Not just for cooking but also for getting together after a long day at work, leaving the groceries when you get back home or a place where kids can do their homework.
Germs can be found in many kitchens, caused by food residues, cross-contamination and greasy leftovers. Simply cleaning and removing grease from cooktops and worktops won’t do it. It is important we disinfect correctly all surfaces and objects around the kitchen to ensure a healthy home.
Sponges & cloths
To avoid accumulating bacteria and mal odours at the end of the day, ensure you wash and disinfect your cloths and sponges every one or two days, depending on how much you use it at home. Check our latest post on how to disinfect sponges & cloths.
Empty your bins daily to ensure bacteria does not build up from food remains. Once every week clean and disinfect your bins to remove any germs and food remains or grease spillages.
Chopping boards & knifes
Try to clean and disinfect them before cutting different ingredients. For example, if you cut raw meat or chicken and afterwards you need to slice some vegetables, ensure you disinfect first your chopping board and knifes. We can cause cross contamination of pathogens from raw meat to vegetables, which will end up in our body.
We commonly place our groceries here before storing them. We also tend to manipulate food on our worktops and this can cause cross-contamination. Ensure you are disinfecting correctly your kitchen worktops before and after preparing any meals.
Kitchen sinks and taps
Food remains are sometimes left on kitchen sinks if we don’t clean it correctly after doing the dishes or emptying a beverage or coffee. This, together with humidity, will eventually cause the growth of microorganisms. Ensure to clean and disinfect your kitchen sinks and taps on a daily basis to prevent the growth of germs.
We should clean and disinfect our fridge occasionally. Food remains can fall from their original packaging and hide in our fridge, causing bacteria, which will then pass to other food and directly to our body. Ensure we clean and disinfect our fridge at least every once a month.
Door handles & Chairs
Fridge, oven, microwave, cupboard handles and chairs are touched by every member of the home. Disinfect them daily to prevent germs being spread through all family members.
During the Coronavirus crisis sanity authorities have recommended not only to disinfect our home but also our clothes. Once we get back home from the office, school, supermarket, the park or any other place, we need to remove our clothes and place them in the laundry basket.
Note that our clothes will not come out germ free from the washing machine if we do not use a special disinfectant or laundry sanitizer. Only using laundry detergent in our laundry will not remove bacteria, viruses and fungi, this is why we recommend adding Wyx Disinfectant Laundry Cleaser, together with our laundry detergent, for clean and disinfected laundry. It is great for disinfecting fabrics such as:
- Everyday laundry
- Bed linen
- Baby fabrics: clothes, linen, blankets, etc.
- Pet fabrics: blankets, clothes, fabric toys, etc.
Place your clothes inside the washing machine. Add 100 ml of Wyx Disinfectant Laundry Cleanser into your washer’s softener dispenser tray and select your usual wash cycle. Do not combine with fabric softener. Don’t forget to add your regular detergent before setting the programme, as this is not a laundry detergent and needs to be combined with one in order to both clean and disinfect fabrics.
You can also disinfect clothes by hand wash. Dilute 20 ml in 4 L of water, add your textiles and leave for 15 minutes. Rinse with plenty of water. Do not use this product directly on garments.
How to disinfect fabrics that cannot be placed in the washing machine? This question may have popped your mind several times during flu season or sanitary crisis. Try using Wyx Disinfectant Fabric Refresher on hard-to-wash textiles or those fabrics you want to wash less frequently. It will remove bad odours and provide lasting freshness while killing bacteria, fungi and Coronavirus. Here are some of the items you can disinfect with our Disinfectant Fabric Freshener:
- Sofas & Armchairs
- Fabric chairs
- Rugs and carpets
- Sofa covers
- Coats and jackets
- Shoes & sneakers
- Pet beds
- Sleeping bags
- Faux Fur
- Stuffed animals
Turn the nozzle and place ON in an upward position. Spray Wyx Disinfectant Fabric Refresher on fabrics until damp. Close bottle after use. The odour will be removed and the fabric disinfected once the fabric is dry. Wait till the fabric is completely dry before wearing. On delicate fabrics test first on hidden area. Do not use on leather, suede or silk.
Disinfectant your washing machine:
Ensure you use Wyx Disinfectant Laundry Cleanser to clean and disinfect your laundry machine. During cold & flu season and during the Coronavirus sanitary crisis, we recommend disinfecting your washing machine one or twice a month. Just pour 250 ml of product into the detergent dispenser tray with a 60 ° C wash cycle. Please ensure your washing machine is empty before setting the programme. Pour some liquid in a damp cloth to disinfect the washing machine drawer and the outside of your washing machine.
General disinfection laundry tips:
- Wash your towels once or twice per week. Always hang them to dry once you are done using them to prevent the appearance of fungi and bacteria.
- Disinfect your laundry basket after placing your clothes on the washing machine. If your basket is made from plastic or wood, use Wyx Multipurpose Disinfectant Cleaner. If you have a fabric laundry basket use Wyx Disinfectant Fabric Freshener. Always read the label and product information before use.
- Do not place wet, sweaty clothes on your laundry basket, as they can transfer germs to other fabrics. Place them separately until you wash them.
- As soon as your washing programme is finished hang your laundry to dry. Do not leave wet clothes and fabrics in the washing tumbler for hours as they can generate mal odour and germs.
- Fabrics should be completely dry before storing them. If they are still wet, leave them a little longer until you store them.
- With Wyx Disinfectant Laundry Cleanser there is no need of washing your clothes at high temperatures such as 60ºC. You can set your washing machine at 30ºC or 40ºC to save energy. This is better for your economy and for the planet!
Washing your hands is the best way to prevent spreading Coronavirus and other illness. You can either wash your hands with liquid soap or with Wyx Hand gel, depending on the place and the time.
As we are constantly touching everything with our hands, we recommend washing your hands very frequently during the day. Ensure you are doing it correctly, covering all areas, specially the most forgotten ones such as between fingers and under your nails. It is highly important you take your time while washing your hands, approximately for up to 1 to 2 minutes.
Make sure you wash your hands after the following moments of the day:
- After visiting the bathroom
- Before, during and after travelling in public transport.
- Before, during and after visiting stores.
- After sharing any object with another person: pen, calculator, mobile phone, etc.
- Before and after preparing or eating food.
- After blowing your nose, sneezing or coughing.
- After touching animals or handling animal waste.
- Before and after touching someone sick.
- After handling money or paying by dataphone.
- After handling garbage or waste.
- Any other moment you feel you might have been in contact with germs.